Students & Families,
Our new Chromebooks were initially having some major struggles handling Zoom and Conferences, especially while doing anything else on the Chromebook while in one of those meetings. We believe we have found a solution though.
The Chromebooks Operating System (ChromeOS) is at version 85 when you first open it up. Only as of this morning (12/11/20) were we all allowed to update to the latest version, 87. 87 is the version we need to update to right away. Unfortunately we can't push that out for you, you either need to wait until the Chromebook eventually does it on it's own (just needs wifi/Internet) or you can check for and run the updates yourself right now.
Below are the instructions on how to do it. It's very simple. It might take about 10 minutes and involve a couple reboots (because you are going from 2 versions of 85 up to version 87).
Here are the instructions to update:
Repeat process until you click on "check for updates" and it tells you that , "Your Chromebook is up to date" with Version 87.0.4280.88.
- Turn on your Chromebook.
- Connect your Chromebook to Wi-Fi.
- At the bottom right, select the time.
- Select Settings .
- At the bottom of the left panel, select About Chrome OS.
- Under "Google Chrome OS," you'll find which version of the Chrome operating system your Chromebook uses.
- Select "Check for updates."
- If your Chromebook finds a software update, it will start to download automatically.