Phone: (734) 439-5149
Degrees and Certifications:
Ann Babcock, Speech-language Pathologist
I have worked at Paddock Elementary since 2005. I provide speech-language support for kindergarten, first and second-grade students at Paddock. Special areas of interest include: aligning support with curriculum needs, articulation and phonology, alternative augmentative communication and assistive technology (AAC and AT), autism spectrum disorders, and language development. I love to spend time in classrooms during writers workshop and readers workshop!
My three children keep me busy! We love to get outside, camp in the summer, cook together, and visit local parks, zoos, and museums. Our favorite time of day is "snuggle time" in the evening, when we read chapter books together. I enjoy volunteering as able with a local book club for young adults with intellectual differences, and at our local church.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be." - Shel Siverstein
“The moment where you doubt you can fly, you cease for ever being able to do it. - Peter Pan
"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." -Dr. Maya Angelou
“Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today.
I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.” -Groucho Marx
"A career in speech-language pathology challenges you to use your intellect (the talents of your mind) in combination with your humanity (the gifts in your heart) to do meaningful work that feeds your soul...I am proud to be a member of what I consider the best profession on earth." -Megan Hodge
Degrees and Certifications
- Master of Arts in Speech-language Pathology: Western Michigan University, 2001
- Nationally certified (ongoing): American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCCs)
- State of Michigan license (ongoing)
- Working in Milan Area Schools since December, 2004
- Supporting Paddock since September, 2005
- PROMPT (Prompts for Restructuring Oral Muscular Phonetic Targets), 2010
- Special trainings: numerous Alternative, Augmentative Communication (AAC) trainings; START (Statewide Autism Resourcesd and Training); PECS; Hanen Institute (It Takes Two to Talk; More Than Words)